My Weight Loss Idea Secrets Inside ...

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Maintaining Weight Loss After Illness [Forum]

Hi there,

I have an unusual question. I used to be very overweight, with a BMI of 28. Earlier this year, I began losing weight very rapidly and by April was diagnosed with cancer.

By late May, my weight had plummeted to what is perfect for my height and has stayed there. Now that I am in remission, I want to maintain this new weight. However, I know that most people gain weight back after huge weight loss and, in any case, I didn't 'earn' my weight loss.

I am very motivated to stay at this new weight, partly because I never want to be so sick again in my life, and being overweight is a risk factor for cancer. Also because when I was very ill, I kept my spirits up by looking at fashion websites, at all the clothes I could wear once I got better. I am keeping a food journal and am eating the right amount of calories for my age (42), level of activity and height. I have also started walking for an hour a day and, when I am in better health, intend to join a gym and take classes.

I've also got rid of my old clothes and taken pleasure in buying new clothes that fit perfectly. It was hugely expensive, so if I gain weight again, I will be up for big clothes bills.

But already I am coming up against problems. Mostly other people - somebody always seems to be offering cake or alcohol and they seem offended if I refuse. A few people have even said I need 'feeding up' even though my weight is clinically perfect for my height and body. I think they're shocked at how much weight I've lost and think that if I went back to looking like I did before, somehow it would mean I was back to normal. Then there are people who seem to actively want me to be fat again. One friend, who is more than obese herself, hovers over me practically chanting that weight lost always comes back. My partner, who is overweight himself, loves his food and is always bringing chocolate and other snacks into the house. We've even had fights about it - he says he understands, but then brings me home some chocolates.

Also, I've lost a huge amount of muscle mass because of my illness. Should I expect to put on some weight as I do more exercise, as muscle returns, or is all weight gain likely to be fat?

Has anybody got any advice for me? I feel like the only good thing about enduring that horrible illness was the weight loss and I want to keep it. I couldn't stand it if I got fat again, on top of everything else - but how do I cope with friends and family who want to push food on me? And do I need to know anything about altered metabolism etc etc?

Thanks for all advice,

Alexie


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment